The golden rule when I bake is generally, “the sweeter the better.” However, one of my New Year’s goals is to try and discover healthier alternatives to my sweet and salty binges. Snacking in between meals is something that I am terribly guilty of, so I decided the first step in accomplishing my goal would be to find a snack that was both tasty, yet nutritious to munch on.
I decided to start with these Homemade Granola Bars. They are incredibly easy to make, with little to no clean up and they only take about 10 minutes to prepare! Check out the recipe here:
1 cup oats
1/2 cup trail mix – I used a super fruit trail mix for added nutritional benefits (Read more below)
1/2 cup peanut butter – the more the better!
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 cup water
Organic Traditions Ultimate Superfood Trail Mix: This is a great product that I bought at Planet Organic. It’s a little pricey, but the bag makes approximately 4 batches of granola bars and it contains pure + raw ingredients, unlike other supermarket brands – plus it’s delicious! This blend contains organic chia, hemp hearts, almonds, golden berries, black mulberries, coconut, cacao nibs and vanilla. You can also use it as in other ways, such as a dessert topping or mixed into your yogurt.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir until blended – this will not be a smooth mixture
- Spread onto cookie sheet in a thin layer – put a little elbow grease into it! The mixture is thick and can be a little harder to spread.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven, cut into squares
- Return to oven for another 12 minutes
- Remove from oven, let cool and ENJOY!